New state-wide mandate requires masks to visit our offices. Learn more.
Appointments are required for in-person services. Schedule yours now.
Get the latest COVID guidance for businesses.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Cosmetology school or postsecondary school

We have a new online service for managing professional and business licenses. Learn how to set up account access and manage your license. If you need help with the new service, please contact your professional licensing program.

We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Who needs a license?

You do if you operate an establishment in Washington that offers instruction in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, manicuring, hair design, master esthetics, or instructor-trainee to students.

To apply for a license…

  • First, File a Business License Application – get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number (Department of Revenue).
    • You'll include your UBI number on the school application.
  • Next, apply for your school license.

Apply online

  • You'll need a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
Apply online


Apply by mail

Send the following:

Post your license

You must post your school licenses in the reception area of the school.

Question? Need help?

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website