Exempt services: Geologists
State laws recognize that certain areas of expertise are common to professionals other than geologists, engineering geologists, and hydrogeologists. The law provides the following exemptions in RCW 18.220.190: Permitted activities — Certificate of licensing not required:
- The practice of engineering.
- The acquisition of engineering data involving:
- Soil, rock, groundwater, and other earth materials.
- Evaluation of the physical and chemical properties of soil, rock, groundwater, and other earth materials.
- The utilization of these data in analysis, design, and construction by professional engineers appropriately registered or licensed in this state.
- Work performed by officers or employees of the government of the United States while engaged in the practice of engineering for the government.
- Similar work performed by individuals or organizations licensed or registered in any other profession or occupation related to geology, provided that such work is:
- Permitted under the applicable licensing or registration law.
- Incidental to the practice or the profession or occupation for which licensing or registration is required.
Questions? Need help?
Email us: DFCcompliance@dol.wa.gov