Who needs a certification?
School districts and approved private schools that offer Traffic Safety Education (TSE).
What is certification?
Certification is a joint process between Public School Districts, Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and Department of Licensing (DOL).
Public school districts or approved private schools that offer TSE must apply annually to OSPI for program approval (WAC 392-153-014). DOL certifies OSPI-approved programs, RCW 28A.220 requires school districts or approved private schools that offer driver training education to certify that they are:
- Operating a traffic safety education program
- Employing only qualified driver training education instructors
- Teaching the Washington State Driver Training Required Curriculum
- Meeting Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction course delivery standards
- Retaining accurate records
Beginning with the 2019/2020 school year, School Districts must provide a signed attestation that their program meets the requirements of HB 1481.
How to certify
To request OSPI program approval of a TSE program and DOL certification:
After you submit your application
- OSPI will review the district program data, and if your program meets their requirements (Chapters 28.A.220 RCW and 392-153 WAC), OSPI will send you an approval letter.
- OSPI will review the OSPI/DOL School District Registration form and forward it to us for processing. Allow at least 3 weeks to process your registration.
- After our review, we will notify the School District / Private School of certification and provide directions on how to access License eXpress for business.
School District / Private School Traffic Safety Education program changes
Once your program is certified for the school year, you must inform us of any changes to your program. We are currently creating the forms you will need to notify us regarding the following changes:
- Add or remove and Instruction / Staff member
- Make changes to the SD TSE Coordinator / Superintendent
- Close a Traffic Safety Education program
- Request or terminate testing endorsement
Questions? Need help?