If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Engineer by comity

Important requirements if you’re currently licensed outside of Washington

Applicants for professional engineering licensure by comity must meet these requirements:

  • Hold an active engineering license with one of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) boards.
  • Have at least 8 years of Washington board-approved engineering experience.
  • Pass the required NCEES exams: FE and PE.
    • The Washington Board no longer offers a waiver of the FE exam.
  • Have exam results verified by the NCEES or the appropriate board.
  • Have your professional license status verified by the board that issued the license.
    • All verifications must be originals and sent to the Washington Board by the NCEES or appropriate board.

If you don't meet these requirements, you can't apply for a license in Washington by comity.

What you'll need

  • Completed Engineer Law Review Exam
  • Verification of your professional engineering experience. Choose an option:
    • Go to NCEES (ncees.org) and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
    • Complete the applicant portion of the Professional Engineering Experience and Verification form and send it to each experience verifier. The verifier must complete their portion and either:
      • Email the form directly to engineers@dol.wa.gov. The email must come directly from the verifier's email address.
      • Mail the form to you in a sealed envelope with their signature across the flap. Don't open the sealed envelopes.
  • Official transcripts, if you want education to be applied toward experience.
    • Official transcripts must be emailed directly from the school to engineers@dol.wa.gov, or mailed in an envelope sealed by the school to:
      Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
      Department of Licensing
      PO Box 9025
      Olympia, WA 98507-9025

How to apply


  • Prepare your documents for upload.
  • Log in or sign up to apply and pay your fee online.

By mail

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website