Get answers to your questions about essential businesses.
More extensions for some expiring driver licenses.
Vehicle and boat licensing services may vary across the state.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your certificate: Engineering or land surveying firms

Our online Professional and Business Licensing service will be down for maintenance from June 19 through June 28. We will not process mailed applications or renewals during this time.

When the service resumes on June 29, we expect a delay in processing mailed applications and renewals. Please use our online service for quicker processing of your license.

Who needs a license?

All corporations, joint stock associations, and limited liability companies (LLCs) that offer engineering or land surveying services must have a certificate of authorization in Washington, except for professional service (PS) corporations and professional service limited liability companies (PLLCs).


Your firm must register with the Washington Secretary of State (sos.wa.gov) to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number before we can issue your certificate of authorization.

How to apply

You can apply online or by mail.

What you'll need

Apply online

  1. Prepare your documents for upload:
  2. Log in or sign up to apply and pay your application fee.
    • You must include your UBI number on the application

Apply by mail

  1. Complete the following forms:
  2. Mail the completed documents with and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
    Department of Licensing
    Business and Professions Division
    PO Box 3777
    Seattle, WA 98124-3777

Frequently asked questions

I work for a Canadian firm with several engineers licensed in Canada. Can we apply for a certificate of authority without having an engineer licensed in Washington State?
No, the designated engineer must be a licensed professional engineer in Washington.

How do I change the designated engineer or land surveyor for my firm?
Have the new designated engineer or land surveyor complete the Change of Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor form and send it in to our office.

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website