How to get your structural engineer license

Things to know

Structural exam applicants - You must take and pass both the lateral and vertical portions of the NCEES 16-hour Structural Examination within a 5-year period. If you don't receive acceptable results on both components during this 5-year period, the results of the previous component you've passed will be invalidated. To pass the SE exam in the future, you'd be required to restart the process and take both components of the SE exam.

NCEES policy states: "For the Structural Engineering examination, a candidate may sit for either component in separate exam administrations but must receive acceptable results on both components within a 5-year period in order to pass the examination."

Licensing requirements

To get your structural engineer license, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be currently licensed as a Washington Professional Engineer (PE).
  • Have at least 2 years of progressive structural experience (in addition to the 8 years required for a Professional Engineer license).
  • Pass the NCEES 16-hour Structural exam (first administered in April 2011). Please contact us if you've taken a state-specific structural exam.

If you've only passed the NCEES 16-hour lateral & vertical structural examination, you need to take and pass an additional 8-hour NCEES PE exam in another branch of engineering.

How to apply

  1. Send us all of the following:
  2. Mail your completed application and fee to:
    Department of Licensing
    Business and Professions Division
    PO Box 35001
    Seattle, WA 98124-3401
  3. Send pages 3-6 of the application (Experience and Verification) to the people who are verifying your work experience. They must complete their part and return it to you in a sealed envelope signed across the flap. You must submit the verification with your Application.
    • You must complete the experience descriptions and have your experience verified using our forms. NCEES records aren't accepted for structural engineer licensing.
  4. Once we've received your application and documentation, we'll evaluate it and send you an email telling you:
    • Your application is complete.
    • We need additional information to process your application.
    • or
    • You've been approved for the exam.
  5. Go to and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.

Your name will appear on your license and wall certificate the exact way you entered it on your application.

For help in understanding the application process, please see the following:

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website