Get answers to your questions about essential businesses.
More extensions for some expiring driver licenses.
Vehicle and boat licensing services may vary across the state.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your land surveyor license by exam

Things to know

The Washington State 2-hour Land Surveyor's Examination has changed.

Find out what you need to know in the Important changes to the Washington State 2-hour Land Surveyor's Examination news update.

Licensing requirements

To get your license, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Pass the LSIT (Land Surveyor-in-Training exam).
  • Pass the PLS (Principles and Practices of Land Surveying exam).
  • Pass the Washington 2-hour land surveyor's exam.
  • Have 8 years of professional-level experience under the direct supervision of a licensed land surveyor.
    • Education in an ABET-accredited program may count for up to 4 years of this experience.
    • Completion of the Certified Federal Surveyor (CFedS) program, including the final exam, may count for 3 months of this experience.

For more information about exam requirements and schedules, see Exams.

How to apply

  1. Complete the Professional Land Surveyor Registration Application.
    • Send pages 1–3 with a check or money order for the exam fees (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
      Department of Licensing
      Business and Professions Division
      PO Box 35001
      Seattle, WA 98124-3401
    • Send pages 4–6 (Experience Description and Verification) to the people who are verifying your work experience. They will send the finished form directly to us when they're done.
  2. If you took the Fundamentals of Land Surveying exam (FLS) in another state, go to https://account.ncees.org/login and follow the instructions for requesting a license/exam verification.
  3. If you want education considered toward requirements, ask your school to send an official transcript to us at:
    Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9025
    Olympia, WA 98507

    Photocopies aren't accepted.

Frequently asked questions

What happens after I submit my application?

We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you:

  • Your application is complete, but you still need you complete the law review before we can consider approving you for the licensing exam.
  • or
  • We need additional information to process your application.

If you're approved for the exams, you will receive 2 emails:

  1. We'll send the information you need to schedule your 6-hour exam with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
  2. National Testing Networks (ntnlicensingexams.com) will send the information you need to schedule your 2-hour exam.

Do I have to take an exam to get a license?

Yes, all applicants must take and pass the approved written examinations and a law review before receiving a license. Once we receive your application and fee, we'll send you an email with instructions on how to access the online Law and Ethics exam. For more information, see Exams.

How will my name appear on my license and wall certificate?

Your name will appear exactly the way you entered it on your application.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website