Get answers to your questions about essential businesses.
More extensions for some expiring driver licenses.
Vehicle and boat licensing services may vary across the state.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your land surveyor-in-training certificate

Our online Professional and Business Licensing service will be down for maintenance from June 19 through June 28. We will not process mailed applications or renewals during this time.

When the service resumes on June 29, we expect a delay in processing mailed applications and renewals. Please use our online service for quicker processing of your license.

Licensing requirements

Before you may apply for certification as a land surveyor-in-training, you must have one of the following:

  • Senior standing in an ABET-accredited surveying program.
  • A bachelor's degree in an ABET-accredited surveying program.
  • A 2-year associate degree in a board-approved surveying program and 2 years of board-approved work experience.
  • 4 years of board-approved work experience.
    • Completion of the 2-year surveying program at any of the following schools may count for 2 years of this experience:
    • Completion of the Certified Federal Surveyor (CFedS) program, including the final exam, may count for 3 months of this experience.

How to apply for the exam

  1. Complete the Land Surveyor-in-Training Registration Application:
    • Send pages 1–2 to:
      Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
      Department of Licensing
      PO Box 35001
      Seattle, WA 98124-3401
    • Send pages 3-5 (Experience Description and Verification) to the people who are verifying your work experience. They should mail the completed form directly to our office.
  2. If you want your education considered toward requirements, ask your school to send an official transcript (not a photocopy) to us at:
    Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9025
    Olympia, WA 98507

What happens after you submit your application

We evaluate your application and documentation, and send you an email telling you one of the following:

  • You've been approved for the Fundamentals of Land Surveying (LSIT) exam.
  • We need additional information to process your application.

If you're approved for the exam, the letter will include the information you need to schedule your exam with the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).

If you've been approved for a previous exam

If we have previously approved you to take the exam, you can go directly to the NCEES website (ncees.org) and register for the exam. Contact us if you're unsure if you've been previously approved.

If you fail the exam

If you were registered as a Washington applicant and failed the fundamentals exam, you can go directly to the NCEES website (ncees.org) and register to retake the exam. You may take the exam once during any 3-month testing window, and no more than 3 times in a 12-month period.

If you passed the exam (after January 1, 2014)

If you want to be certified as a land surveyor-in-training in Washington, you must submit the certification application. Certificates are issued only to those applicants that designated Washington as their practice state when they registered to take the fundamentals of land surveying exam. Certificates are issued every March, June, September and December.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website