If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Registered tow truck operator branch

The applicant/licensee must comply with all applicable laws and rules, even if not covered below.

Who needs a license?

Any registered tow truck operator business that operates additional vehicle storage/impound areas located away from the main business location.

  • Tow trucks are registered only at the main location
  • You must submit a separate application for each branch site location

Before you apply

  1. Ensure the branch location address is included on the certificate of insurance
  2. Complete section A of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Branch Site Addendum
  3. Take the form to your local zoning authority and have them complete and sign their part of section B of the form
  4. Contact the Washington State Patrol (or the local Chief of Police if you are located in a city with more than 5,000 people) for an inspection of your business site before submitting your application. The inspecting official must complete and sign their part of section B of the form.

How to apply

Apply online with the Department of Revenue

What you'll need

  • Vehicle Transport/Disposal Branch Site Addendum for each branch site location, ready for upload
  • Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E–check to pay:
    • Applicable BLS fees
    • There is no fee for the branch license

Want to apply by mail?

  1. Complete or obtain the following:
  2. Mail the completed forms and supporting documents with a check/money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the BLS fees and the motor vehicle salvage processor license and plate fees to:
    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507–9034

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon