E-Permits: Vehicle and vessel dealers
Who needs to use E-permits?
All retail vehicle dealers are required to use E-permits.
What does it do?
The E-permits system allows Washington licensed vehicle dealers to issue, revoke, and reprint dealer temporary permits electronically.
What you’ll need
- A computer with any operating system (such as Windows) and any of the following browser software:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer 7+
- Safari 5+
- Chrome 5+
- Firefox 3.5+
- Opera 10+
- Internet access (broadband, DSL, or dial-up)
- Adobe Reader or similar software for reading PDF files.
- A laser or inkjet printer
How to get started
You’ll need an account administrator for your business. This person will manage system access for your staff members. The administrator must set up account access by following the steps below.
Step 1: Get access to the E-permits system
Follow the instructions in the License eXpress for Vehicle Businesses E-Services Account User Guide, Request Administrator Access section to set up account access.
Step 2: Prepare staff members to use the system
- Advise your staff members to create their own License eXpress for business account.
- Generate an E-Permitting account access code for each staff member who will issue E-permits. Follow the instructions in License eXpress for Vehicle Businesses E-Services Account User Guide, Generate Access Code for Manager or Employee section.
- Email the access codes to your staff members, who will gain E-Permitting account access using the instructions in the License eXpress for Vehicle Businesses E-Services Account User Guide, Request Employee or Manager Access section.
- Your staff members will have 24 hours to use the access code before it expires.
Step 3: Purchase E-permits
- Go to your local vehicle licensing county agent or sub-agent to purchase E-permits the same way you would purchase paper dealer temporary permits.
- Give the licensing clerk your dealer number and location code. Be sure to provide your dealership’s correct location code so the E-Permitting system will know which dealership location to credit with the E-permits you purchased.
- Request the number of E-permits you need (no limit).
- Pay $40 for each E-permit.
- Get your receipt from the licensing clerk. The receipt will list the E-permit numbers assigned to your dealership.
After your transaction is complete, the range of E-permit numbers listed on your receipt will be assigned to your dealership and will be issued when you sell a vehicle.
Step 4: Issue E-permits
Now you are ready to issue E-permits to your customers. See the License eXpress for Vehicle Businesses E-Services Account User Guide, Add a New E-Permit or Paper Permit section for instructions.
You must use the E-permits system to issue permits, unless:
- The E-permits system is down.
- You're at an off-site sale location where you don't have access to the Internet.
- A hardware failure at your dealer location prevents access to data. Hardware failure doesn't include not having supplies such as paper and ink cartridges on hand.
- Your Internet service provider or phone line is down.
In any of these cases, you may issue hard-copy permits. You must enter the information from the hard-copy permit into the E-permits system within 24 hours of issuance or hardware/software resolution, or within 24 hours of returning to the office if the hard copy was issued off-site.
How to request a refund
E-permits can't be transferred to another firm, so if your dealership has been sold or gone out of business, you may request a refund for your remaining E-permits. Complete a Vehicle/Vessel Refund Request form following these instructions:
- Mark the "Other" box and include "Dealer sold" or "Dealer out of business" as your explanation.
- Include a print-out of the E-permits home page screen that contains your dealer number and location code, user name, date/time, and number of E-permits available. If you no longer have access to the E-permits system, please tell us on the refund application.
- Mail or fax the completed, signed refund application and printout of the E-permits home page to the location shown on the application.
Questions? Need help?
Customer support is available Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Email us: DRIVEShelp@dol.wa.gov
- Call us: 360.664.9698