Failure to appear in court or pay tickets (FTA)

Why was my license suspended or revoked?

Your license was suspended or revoked because you didn't pay a ticket or appear in court as required.

How long will my license be suspended or revoked?

Until you pay the fine or comply with the requirement to appear in court and we (DOL) have received notification from the court that the matter has been resolved.

Can I get a restricted license?

You may be eligible for an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL), if you've sent us proof of financial responsibility (usually an SR-22).

Can I contest or appeal the suspension?

You may request an administrative review within 15 days from the date on your suspension or revocation letter. The letter we sent to you includes a form to request an appeal.

How can I get my license back?

  1. Once your failure to appear has been cleared with the court, they'll issue a certificate of adjudication.
  2. After the court notifies us that your failure to appear has been cleared, we'll update your driving record to show your license isn't suspended or revoked any more.
  3. Apply for a new license. You'll need to pay a:
    • $75 reissue fee plus your licensing fees if the original charge wasn't drug or alcohol related.
    • or
    • $150 reissue fee plus your licensing fees if the original charge was drug or alcohol related.

Get step-by-step instructions

There may be other issues you'll need to take care of to get your license back. To find out what you need to do, see Learn how to reinstate your license.

Related laws

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Email us:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website