Treatment reports of Substance Use Disorder

Can I contest or appeal the suspension?

To prevent the suspension from taking effect, you may appeal the suspension within 15 days from the date on your notification letter. The letter we sent to you includes a form for appealing the suspension.

You also may request an interview or hearing any time after the 15–day period, but your license will remain suspended pending the outcome of the interview or hearing.

What will be considered during my appeal?

  • Whether a qualified chemical dependency professional diagnosed your condition as moderate or severe Substance Use Disorder.
  • Whether you are in compliance with the recommended treatment program.

For more information, see Hearings.

Changes to treatment terms

  • Diagnostic and treatment terms have been updated and no longer use terms Drug or Alcohol Abuse or Drug or Alcohol Addict as described in RCW 46.20.031 (3): Ineligibility.
  • A condition previously described as Drug or Alcohol Abuse is now described as Mild Substance Use Disorder.
  • A condition previously described as Drug or Alcohol Addict is now described as Moderate to Severe Substance Use Disorder.

How can I get my license back?

Have your treatment provider complete the Alcohol/Drug Assessment/Treatment Report (ATR) and submit it electronically.

  • The completed form can also be printed and submitted by:
    • Fax: 360.570.7044
    • Mail:

      Department of Licensing
      Attn: Medical/Alcohol
      PO Box 9030
      Olympia, WA 98507–9030

We'll release the suspension when your treatment provider notifies us an assessment has been completed and you've completed or complied with your treatment program.

Get step–by–step instructions

There may be other issues you'll need to take care of to get your license back. To find out what you need to do, see Learn how to reinstate your license.

Questions? Need help?

Email us:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website