Gold Star license plate

Gold Star plates

On July 24, 2015 "Sibling" was added to the list of eligible family members.


  1. What you need to do to qualify.
  2. Costs and plate options.
  3. Submit your certified letter, application and payment.
  4. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
  5. Renew your plates yearly.

1. What you need to do to qualify

The Gold Star plate is available for family members of a US armed forces member who died while in service to his or her country, or as a result of his or her service.

You must be a WA vehicle owner and request a certified letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs as a:

  • Widow or widower*,
  • Biological, adoptive or stepparent,
  • Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship provider or caretaker relative,
  • Biological or adopted child, or
  • Sibling.

*If you're a widow or widower you don't have to pay the yearly registration and tab fees for the Gold Star plates on one of your vehicles.

2. Costs and plate options

You have 2 options. If you want your Gold Star plates:

  1. To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your payment and application.
    Next available number plate fees
    Vehicle type Fee
    Passenger $8.75
    Truck $8
    Motorcycle $8.75
  2. To be personalized, see Get personalized plates:
    Personalized plate fees
    Vehicle type Fee
    Passenger $64.75
    Truck $64
    Motorcycle $62.75

3. Submit your certified letter, application and payment

Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost of your plates.

Make sure you've received your certified letter from Department of Veterans Affairs.

Mail your certified letter, Military License Plate Application and payment.

4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

5. Renew your plates yearly

You must renew your plates every year, even if you're not using the vehicle. If you have personalized plates, see Renew your personalized plates every year.

Related information


Contact us

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website