Gold Star plates
We're experiencing significant delays in our ability to issue personalized and specialty plates. Due to this delay, you may want to consider waiting to apply for a personalized or specialty plate. We don't have a timeline for when production delays will return to normal.
If you applied and your temporary permit is expiring soon, visit a vehicle licensing office to get a new one.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes
- Find out if you qualify.
- Plate options.
- Submit your proof and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
- Renew your plates, if applicable.
1. Find out if you qualify
The Gold Star plate is available for family members of a US armed forces member who died while in service to his or her country, or as a result of his or her service.
You must request a certified letter from the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) as proof that you are a:
- Widow or widower*,
- Biological, adoptive or stepparent*,
- Adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship provider or caretaker relative*,
- Biological or adopted child, or
WDVA contact information
- Email: License.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-800-562-2308
*If you're a widow, widower, biological parent, adoptive parent, stepparent, or adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship provider or caretaker relative, your first set of plates are exempt from licensing fee for 1 vehicle.
If you're a widow or widower, you may also elect to use this exemption of licensing fees on another special plate background.
Additional plates are available, but they aren't exempt from licensing fees.
2. Plate options
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost to get these plates.
You have 2 options. If you want your Gold Star plates:
- To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your proof and application
- Complete page 2 of the Military License Plate Application
3. Submit your proof and application
Mail your proof with the Military License Plate Application:
- A certified letter from WDVA.
- Payment of any applicable fees.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
- Online: www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/
- By phone: 866.936.8246
5. Renew your plates, if applicable
If you're a widow, widower, biological parent, adoptive parent, stepparent, or adult who fulfilled the parental role, such as foster parent, kinship provider or caretaker relative, your first set of plates are exempt from licensing fees for 1 vehicle.
You must renew your plates every year if you chose to personalize your plates. This rule applies even if you're not using the vehicle (see Personalized plates). You must also renew any additional plates every year.