Former Prisoner of War plates
- What you need to do to qualify.
- Find out the initial cost for plates.
- Submit your proof, payment and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
- Renewing your plates.
1. What you need to do to qualify.
This plate is available to you if you're a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof that you were a prisoner of war.
You're also exempt from paying license fees on 1 vehicle each year if you:
- Received an honorable discharge or discharged for physical reasons with an honorable record, or
- Were captured or incarcerated for 29 or more days during a war with an enemy of the United States, or
- Are the surviving spouse of a deceased former prisoner of war.
2. Find out the initial cost for plates
There's no cost to get these plates or tabs.
3. Submit your letter, payment and application
Mail your proof and payment with the Military License Plate Application:
- For proof, get a letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Check the box for Former Prisoner of War plates or Former Prisoner of War tabs.
- If you're a surviving spouse provide copies of your spouse's death certificate and marriage certificate.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
5. Renewing your plates
You're not required to renew your Former Prisoner of War license plates or tabs.