Former Prisoner of War plates
We're experiencing significant delays in our ability to issue personalized and specialty plates. Due to this delay, you may want to consider waiting to apply for a personalized or specialty plate. We don't have a timeline for when production delays will return to normal.
If you applied and your temporary permit is expiring soon, visit a vehicle licensing office to get a new one.
We apologize for any inconvenience this causes
- Find out if you qualify.
- Plate options.
- Submit your proof and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
- Renew your plates, if applicable.
1. What you need to do to qualify.
This plate is available to you if you're a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof that you were a prisoner of war.
You're also exempt from paying licensing fees on 1 vehicle each year if you:
- Received an honorable discharge or discharged for physical reasons with an honorable record, or
- Were captured or incarcerated for 29 or more days during a war with an enemy of the United States, or
- Are the surviving spouse or surviving domestic partner of a deceased former prisoner of war.
2. Plate options
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost to get these plates. If you want Former Prisoner of War plates:
- Former Prisoner of War plates can't be personalized.
- To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your proof and application.
If you'd like to have a special background for your plates, additional fees will apply. Contact a vehicle licensing office.
3. Submit your proof and application
Mail your proof along with the Military License Plate Application:
- A letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Check the box for Former Prisoner of War plates or Former Prisoner of War tabs. Be sure to sign and date the form.
- If you're a surviving spouse or surviving domestic partner provide a copy of your spouse's death certificate and an affidavit that you haven't remarried.
- Payment for any applicable fees.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
- Online: www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/
- By phone: 866.936.8246
5. Renewing your plates
You're not required to renew your Former Prisoner of War license plates or tabs when you choose the next available plate in the series for 1 vehicle.
You must renew your plates every year if you choose to have a special background for your plates.