Former Prisoner of War plates
- Find out if you qualify.
- Plate options.
- Submit your proof and application.
- Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
- Renew your plates, if applicable.
1. What you need to do to qualify.
This plate is available to you if you're a WA state vehicle owner and you have proof that you were a prisoner of war.
You're also exempt from paying licensing fees on 1 vehicle each year if you:
- Received an honorable discharge or discharged for physical reasons with an honorable record, or
- Were captured or incarcerated for 29 or more days during a war with an enemy of the United States, or
- Are the surviving spouse or surviving domestic partner of a deceased former prisoner of war.
2. Plate options
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost to get these plates. If you want Former Prisoner of War plates:
- Former Prisoner of War plates can't be personalized.
- To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your proof and application.
If you'd like to have a special background for your plates, additional fees will apply. Contact a vehicle licensing office.
3. Submit your proof and application
Mail your proof along with the Military License Plate Application:
- A letter of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Check the box for Former Prisoner of War plates or Former Prisoner of War tabs. Be sure to sign and date the form.
- If you're a surviving spouse or surviving domestic partner provide a copy of your spouse's death certificate and an affidavit that you haven't remarried.
- Payment for any applicable fees.
4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:
5. Renewing your plates
You're not required to renew your Former Prisoner of War license plates or tabs when you choose the next available plate in the series for 1 vehicle.
You must renew your plates every year if you choose to have a special background for your plates.