How to get your license: Driver training instructor
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides driver training instruction for a fee.
Before you apply
- Take your instructor training with:
- A licensed Driver Training School, or
- An approved secondary school (currently either Central Washington University or Western Oregon University)
- Review the following to prepare for the Knowledge and Skills exams:
How to apply
- Complete Driver Training School Instructor License Application.
- Attach the following to your application:
- Proof of instructor training:
- 100 hours training log from licensed training school, or
- Certificate of Course Completion from approved secondary school.
- Copy of your high school diploma/GED or college transcript.
- Application fee (non–refundable) – Check/money order payable to Department of Licensing.
- Mail documents and fees to:
Driver Training Schools
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3907
Seattle, WA 98124–3907
Incomplete applications will not be processed
- Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type. For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.
After we’ve received your application
We’ll wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks. For questions, call 360.664.6692.
Allow at least 3 weeks for us to review your application. When your application is approved, we’ll send you an email authorizing you to take your instructor’s exams.
Continue to study the exam preparation materials listed above while waiting for your testing authorization.
Take the knowledge and skills exams
Post your license
Once you’ve received your license, you must post it at your place of business before instructing any students.
Questions? Need help?