How to get your license: Hulk hauler

Who needs a license?

If you transport or sell wrecked vehicles to wreckers or scrap processors, you must have a hulk hauler license.

License plate requirements

Each vehicle used to conduct business must have a set of hulk hauler license plates.

Zoning requirements

Inspection requirements:

  • Contact the Washington State Patrol (or the local Chief of Police if you are located in a city with more than 5,000 people) for an inspection of your business site before submitting your application. The inspecting official must sign the certification in section G of the Transport/Disposal Addendum found below.

You can find guidance regarding zoning requirements in these publications from the Department of Ecology:

Forms you’ll need

How to apply

Mail all the application materials listed above with a check or money order for the fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:

State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034

Note: Please let us know, in writing, if you have a change of address so we can reach you with information about your license.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website