How to get your license: Hulk hauler
The applicant/licensee must comply with all applicable laws and rules, even if not covered below.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who transports or sells wrecked vehicles to wreckers or motor vehicle salvage processors.
Each vehicle used to conduct business must have a set of hulk hauler license plates.
Before you apply
- Complete section A of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval (page 2 of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum).
- Take the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form to your local zoning authority and have them complete and sign section B of the form.
- Contact the Washington State Patrol (or the local Chief of Police if you are located in a city with more than 5,000 people) for an inspection of your business site before submitting your application. The inspecting official must complete and sign section C of the Vehicle Transport/Disposal Certification and Approval form.
You can find guidance regarding zoning requirements in these publications from the Department of Ecology:
How to apply
Apply online with the Department of Revenue
Note: We issue this license, but it's processed by the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS). BLS prints it on the business license they provide. They refer to licenses issued by us as endorsements to the business license.
What you'll need
- Supporting documents shown below, ready for upload. See How to upload documents
- Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E–check to pay:
- Applicable BLS fees
- Hulk hauler license and plate fees
Want to apply by mail?
- Complete or obtain the following:
- Mail the completed forms and supporting documents with a check/money order payable to the Department of Revenue for the BLS fees, the hulk hauler license and plate fees to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507–9034
After you receive your license
- You’ll need a contract with us to search vehicle registration information.
- You must report to us when you impound a vehicle or sell an abandoned vehicle.
Questions? Need help?