Hazardous materials endorsement (hazmat)
If you’re a commercial driver and want to transfer, add, or renew a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) in Washington state (WA), you’ll need to know the following:
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) HME clearance is valid for 5 years.
- The expiration of the HME clearance will determine how long or if we can issue you a license with HME. The Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) background check will not suffice for the HME background check.
- Adding a hazmat endorsement could affect your current license expiration date. If we adjust your expiration to a shorter time we will not refund the difference.
- You must have a CLP or CDL to complete your TSA HME fingerprints.
- If we issue you a paper or temporary CLP or CDL, you'll need other documents to get your TSA HME fingerprints. Visit Required Documents (tsa.gov) to find out what else you need to bring.
Because the TSA routinely has updates, visit https://universalenroll.dhs.gov.
- Complete the HME background check through TSA. The TSA HME clearance can take up to 45 days to process. Allow enough time so you can transfer, add, or renew your license with HME.
- Take the HME knowledge test at a CDL/CLP office location.
- This test is required anytime you add, transfer, or renew with HME.
Getting your HME clearance
Follow these steps, before your license expires, to get your WA HME clearance:
- Apply with TSA (fees apply):
- Online: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov
- By phone: 855.347.8371
- Having a TWIC can reduce the amount you pay for the HME background check. However, when completing the HME background application, if you choose “reduced” the HME expiration will be tied with the TWIC expiration. For some, choosing reduced can be beneficial, but for a driver nearing license renewal with the HME and TWIC expiring during the year, completing the HME reduced background check is not beneficial and may require you to complete another HME background check before we can renew with HME.
- Get fingerprinted at a TSA Hazmat fingerprint location
- TSA will mail your HME clearance letter to the address you provided on your application.
Note: The date on the notification may be a few days different from the actual HME clearance date.
- If the TSA HME application is completed with:
- a WA driver license, TSA will send the results of the HME clearance to us.
- an out-of-state license, we will not be notified, but we can pull the TSA HME clearance from the other state once you complete a WA CDL application.
- Visit a CDL/CLP office, and:
- If necessary, complete the CDL application and testing process.
- Pay any required test and license fees.
- Get your CDL with HME
|For questions about:
- HME application and fees.
- List of disqualifying offenses.
- Fingerprint locations.
- Status of your HME background check.
- Required documents for HME background check
|Transportation Security Administration
- To see if the current HME clearance date is on your Washington State driving record
- Requirements to get a HME on your Washington License, and how long it will be valid.
Department of Licensing
Call us: 360.902.3900
Questions? Need help?