Hazardous materials endorsement (hazmat)
New Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements
TSA has recently updated the documents required when applying for and completing fingerprints along with their phone number and locations. Visit https://universalenroll.dhs.gov for the latest information.
If you’re a commercial driver and want to transfer, add, or renew a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) in Washington state (WA), you’ll need to know the following:
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) HME clearance is valid for 5 years and 180 days.
- WA issues a 6 year license which expires on your birthday.
- The time remaining on your HME clearance will determine when your WA license will expire. Your WA license can’t expire after the TSA HME clearance expiration.
Washington's HME requirements
- Complete the HME background check through TSA. Start the TSA application process at least 90 days, but no more more than 180 days before your license expires. This should help you get the full 5 years and 180 days out of your HME clearance.
- Complete the HME knowledge test at a driver licensing office.
Getting your HME clearance
Follow these steps to get your WA HME clearance:
- Apply with TSA (fees apply):
- Get fingerprinted at a TSA Hazmat fingerprint location
- TSA will mail your HME clearance letter to the address you provided on your application.
Note: The date on the notification may be a few days different from the actual HME clearance date.
- If the TSA HME application is completed with:
Visit a driver licensing office, and:
- a WA driver license, TSA will send the results of the HME clearance to us.
- an out-of-state license, we will not be notified, but we can pull the TSA HME clearance from the other state once you complete a WA CDL application.
- If necessary, complete the CDL application and testing process.
- Pay any required test and license fees.
- Get your CDL with HME
|For questions about…
- HME application and fees.
- List of disqualifying offenses.
- Fingerprint locations.
- Status of your HME background check.
- Required documents for HME background check
|Transportation Security Administration|
- To see if the current HME clearance date is on your Washington State driving record
- To find out how to transfer your HME clearance from another state
|Department of Licensing|