Hazardous materials endorsement (hazmat)

If you’re a commercial driver and want to transfer, add, or renew a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) in Washington state (WA), you’ll need to know the following:

  • The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) HME clearance is valid for 5 years.
  • The time remaining on your HME clearance will determine when your WA license will expire. Your WA license can’t expire after the TSA HME clearance expiration.

Because the TSA routinely has updates, visit https://universalenroll.dhs.gov.

HME requirements

  1. Complete the HME background check through TSA. Start the TSA application process at least 90 days, but no more than 180 days before your license expires.
  2. Take the HME knowledge test at a CDL/CLP office location.
  3. This test is required anytime you add, transfer, or renew with HME.

Note: Adding hazmat could effect your license expiration date. If we adjust your expiration to a shorter time we will not refund the difference.

Getting your HME clearance

Follow these steps to get your WA HME clearance:

  1. Apply with TSA (fees apply):
  2. Get fingerprinted at a TSA Hazmat fingerprint location
  3. TSA will mail your HME clearance letter to the address you provided on your application.
    Note: The date on the notification may be a few days different from the actual HME clearance date.
  4. If the TSA HME application is completed with:
    • a WA driver license, TSA will send the results of the HME clearance to us.
    • an out-of-state license, we will not be notified, but we can pull the TSA HME clearance from the other state once you complete a WA CDL application.
  5. Visit a CDL/CLP office, and:
    • If necessary, complete the CDL application and testing process.
    • Pay any required test and license fees.
    • Get your CDL with HME

Contact information

For questions about… Contact…
  • HME application and fees.
  • List of disqualifying offenses.
  • Fingerprint locations.
  • Status of your HME background check.
  • Required documents for HME background check
Transportation Security Administration
Call: 855.347.8371
Web: https://universalenroll.dhs.gov
  • To see if the current HME clearance date is on your Washington State driving record
  • Requirements to get a HME on your Washington License, and how long it will be valid.
Department of Licensing
Call: 360.902.3900

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website