Knowledge test: CDL
You must pass the knowledge test:
- Before you can take the skills test you must have a permit for 14 days prior to taking the test.
- Any time you update your CDL by:
- To remove the air brake restriction.
- To reinstate your CDL after 1 year (or more) without holding a CDL.
You may take the knowledge test at any CDL/CLP office location that offers testing. Test scores are valid for 1 year from the date of the test.
How to prepare
- Study the Commercial driver guide to prepare for the test. All the information you’ll need to pass the test is in this guide.
- You may also take the practice test for a sample of the types of questions that will be on the test.
Possible penalties for trying to get a CDL fraudulently are:
- Cancellation of your driver license.
- Having to wait up to 1 year before you can reapply for a CDL.
Questions? Need help?