Change your name: EDL/EID
If you’ve officially changed your name and would like your new name to appear on your enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EID):
- Make sure your new name matches the records on file with the Social Security Administration (SSA). We’ll verify your Social Security number with the SSA when we change the name on your EDL/EID.
- Visit one of our EDL/EID office locations.
- Show us your current EDL/EID.
- Show us one of the following documents as proof of your name change:
- Court order showing your change of name.
- Divorce decree (filed and certified by the court) showing the new name or authorizing a name change.
- Marriage certificate (including same-sex marriage certificate) that has a control or file number and has been filed with the county or authorized issuing authority. Church or wedding chapel forms aren’t acceptable. To get a certified copy of a marriage certificate from:
- The last 4 months, contact the county auditor where the license was filed.
- January 1, 1968 – 4 months ago, order through the Center for Health Statistics.
- Before January 1, 1968, contact the county auditor where you got the license.
- Pay the $10 fee to get an EDL/EID with your new name. You may pay with:
- MasterCard and American Express credit or debit cards, and some Visa debit cards. (A vendor-charged convenience fee is added to all transactions paid with a debit or credit card at driver licensing offices.)
You can’t change the name on your EDL/EID by mail because Washington State law requires the license holder to apply for a new license in person at a driver licensing office. If you request a replacement license by mail when you’re outside of Washington State, it will show the name currently on your license.
Don’t forget to update your…
You may also need to change your name on your vehicle registration. Updating your name on your driver license doesn’t automatically change your name on your vehicle registration.
Good To Go! account
If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation: