Renew your ID card
License renewal periods have changed to 6 years for most drivers. Some drivers are being randomly selected to receive a less-than-six-year driver license in order to make the transition as smooth as possible. Your renewal notice will say what your next renewal period will be, and you will only pay for the number of years your license is valid.
Your license fee will remain at $9 per year. If you have any endorsements, such as a motorcycle or CDL, you’ll pay an additional year for them too. See also: WA driver license renewal period is changing from 5 to 6 years
How to renew your ID card
- Renew online if you got a renewal letter from us.
- When you’re done, print the receipt. It will show you’ve renewed your ID card, but can’t be used for photo ID since it doesn’t include your photo or signature.
- Your new ID card will show the last photo we took of you at an office.
- We’ll mail your new card to the Washington residence address we have on file for you in 7–10 business days. If you don’t get it within 45 days, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Renew in person at a driver licensing office. Be sure to bring:
- Your ID card.
- Payment for the fee.
Is your address up-to-date?
If you need to update your address, please change your address before you renew. When you renew, we match your Washington residence address with the United States Postal Service (USPS).
Are you a twin or triplet?
When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you’re a twin or triplet. Answering this question is strictly voluntary.
We share this information with the Washington State Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you’d like to join the Twin Registry. Periodically, as a Twin Registry member you may be invited to participate in scientific studies developed by prominent scientists from around the world. Learn more about this exciting program on the Washington State Twin Registry website.
Enhanced ID cards (EIDs)
Please see Renew your EDL/EID to learn how to renew your enhanced ID card.