Renew your ID card
A Washington State identification (ID) card is valid for 5 years. Check the expiration date on your ID card to find out when it expires.
Is your address up-to-date?
You’re required to have your residence address on your ID card. If you need to update it, please change your address before you renew your ID card. When you renew, we match your residence address with the United States Postal Service (USPS).
How to renew your ID card
- Renew online if you got a letter from us saying you can renew online.
- When you’re done, print the receipt. It will show you’ve renewed your ID card, but can’t be used for photo ID since it doesn’t include your photo or signature.
- Your new ID card will show the last photo we took of you at an office.
- We’ll mail your new card to the Washington residence address we have on file for you in 7–10 business days. If you don’t get it within 45 days, contact us at email@example.com.
- Renew in person at a driver licensing office. Be sure to bring:
- Your ID card.
- Payment for the fee. You may pay with:
- MasterCard and American Express credit or debit cards, and some Visa debit cards.
- Credit and debit cards not accepted at Coulee Dam, Davenport, Friday Harbor, Forks, Goldendale, Newport, Republic, or South Bend.
- A vendor-charged convenience fee is added to all transactions paid with a debit or credit card at driver licensing offices.
Enhanced ID cards (EIDs)
Please see Renew your EDL/EID to learn how to renew your enhanced ID card.