Financial responsibility (SR-22)

What is financial responsibility?

It’s proof you have a way to pay for any damages you may cause while driving.

Who needs to file proof of financial responsibility?

Anyone who has:

  • Been convicted of, or forfeited bail for, certain offenses.
  • Failed to pay judgments.
  • Driven or owned a vehicle involved in an accident.

What is acceptable proof of financial responsibility?

You can provide us with any of the following:

  • SR-22 certificate of automobile insurance. This is the most common method of filing proof of financial responsibility.
    • Most automobile insurance agents can help you with this.
    • You or your insurance company can fax this proof to 360.570.7040. Please allow 7–10 business days for processing.
  • Certificate of deposit issued by the Washington State Treasurer, showing you’ve deposited $60,000 in cash or securities.
  • Liability bond for at least $60,000.
    • You can get this bond from any surety or bonding company authorized to do business in Washington.

How long do I have to provide proof of financial responsibility?

In most cases the proof will be needed for 3 years from the date you’re eligible to reinstate your license. See Learn how to reinstate your license to find out how long you need to have proof of financial responsibility.

Washington Healthcare Finder
Access Washington