Financial responsibility (SR-22)
What is financial responsibility?
It’s proof you have a way to pay for any damages you may cause while driving.
Who needs to file proof of financial responsibility?
Anyone who has:
- Been convicted of, or forfeited bail for, certain offenses.
- Failed to pay judgments.
- Driven or owned a vehicle involved in an accident.
What is acceptable proof of financial responsibility?
You can provide us with any of the following:
- SR-22 certificate of automobile insurance. This is the most common method of filing proof of financial responsibility.
- Most automobile insurance agents can help you with this.
- You or your insurance company can fax this proof to 360-570-7040. Please allow 7–10 business days for processing.
- Certificate of deposit issued by the Washington State Treasurer, showing you’ve deposited $60,000 in cash or securities.
- Liability bond for at least $60,000.
- You can get this bond from any surety or bonding company authorized to do business in Washington.
How long do I have to provide proof of financial responsibility?
In most cases the proof will be needed for 3 years from the date you’re eligible to reinstate your license. See Learn how to reinstate your license to find out how long you need to have proof of financial responsibility.