Google™ Translate Limitations & Disclaimer

Due to flooding, the Everett Driver Licensing Services Office is closed. We'll update this message when we have a reopening date. In the meantime, customers are encouraged to access our online services or visit these nearby offices: Smokey Point, Lynnwood, and Shoreline.

Too many traffic tickets (moving violations)

What happens if I receive too many traffic tickets?

If you're ticketed for too many moving violations within a specific period of time:

  • Your license will be suspended.
  • or
  • You'll be put on probation (conditional status) for 1 year. If you receive additional tickets during the probation period, your license will be suspended.

Suspended license

If you're ticketed for 6 moving violations in a 12 month period, your license will be suspended for 60 days. There is no probation period following the suspension.

Probation (may lead to suspension)

You'll be put on probation (conditional status) for 1 year if you're ticketed for:

  • 4 moving violations in a 12-month period.
  • or
  • 5 moving violations in a 24-month period.

During probation, if you're ticketed for 2 more moving violations your license will be suspended for 30 days for Continuing Offenses.

  • When you reinstate your license after the Continuing Offenses suspension, you'll be placed on another year of probation.
  • During the additional year of probation, if you're ticketed for 1 moving violation your license will be suspended for:
    • 60 days for a 2nd suspension.
    • 120 days for a 3rd suspension.
    • 364 days for a 4th or subsequent suspension.

Note: Remember to keep your address current so we can notify you of any changes to your driving status. Within 10 days of moving, please:

How do I get my license back?

To get your license back when the suspension is over:

  1. Provide us with a proof of financial responsibility (SR-22) insurance certificate.
  2. Apply for a new license.
    • You'll be required to pay a $75 reissue fee in addition to your other licensing fees.

Get step-by-step instructions

There may be other issues you'll need to take care of to get your license back. To find out what you need to do, see Learn how to reinstate your license.

Can I get a restricted license while my license is suspended?

While your driver license is suspended, you may be eligible for an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) that will allow you drive to work or other necessary appointments until the suspension is over.

Can I contest or appeal the suspension?

You may appeal the suspension within 15 days from the date on your notification letter. The letter we sent to you includes a form for you to appeal the suspension.

What will be considered during my appeal?

  • Whether you received 4 moving violations in a 12-month period.
  • Whether you received 5 moving violations in a 24-month period.
  • Whether you received additional moving violations while on probation (conditional status).

For more information about appealing or contesting your suspension, please see Hearings.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website