If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: State-certified general real estate appraiser

Who needs a license?

Anyone who provides appraisal services for all types of real property.

Education and experience requirements

To be eligible you must meet all of the following education and experience requirements.


To be eligible to take the exam, you must have:

  • A Bachelor's degree or higher (in any field) from an accredited college or university,
  • and
  • A total of 300 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses, including all of the following:
    Education requirements
    Subject Hours required
    Basic appraisal principles 30 hours
    Basic appraisal procedures 30 hours
    Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) 15 hours
    General appraiser market analysis and highest and best use 30 hours
    Statistics, modeling, and finance 15 hours
    General appraiser sales comparison approach 30 hours
    General appraiser site valuation and cost approach 30 hours
    General appraiser income approach 60 hours
    General appraiser report writing and case studies 30 hours
    Appraisal subject matter electives 30 hours


Before you may take the exam, you must:

  1. Find a certified appraiser willing to supervise your work experience as a licensed registered appraiser trainee. Visit the State-registered real estate appraiser trainee page for more information.
  2. Work under the supervisory appraiser to get at least 2½ years' real estate appraiser experience (30 full months, first date thru last date of experience log, and a minimum of 3,000 hours).
    • At least 1,500 hours of this experience must be in non-residential appraising.
    • Hours may be treated as cumulative to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.

Before you apply for the exam

  1. Complete the Real Estate Appraiser Applicant Experience Log in chronological order. You won't be granted credit for restricted appraisal reports. Trainees won't be granted credit for review appraisal reports.
    • Every page must be signed by you. All pages with experience obtained under a supervisor must also be signed by them. If you have multiple supervisors, separate logs must be maintained. If you are a returning appraiser using experience from when you were licensed, you do not need to sign twice.
  2. Request official college transcripts be sent to:
    Real Estate Appraiser Section
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9021
    Olympia, WA 98507-9021
  3. Gather your appraiser education course completion certificates.
  4. Be ready to answer legal background questions and provide documents, if needed.

How to apply for the exam


Log in or sign up to apply to take the exam online.

By mail

Mail a completed Real Estate Appraiser Certification Application and the following documents to the address shown on the application:

  • Copies of your appraiser education course completion certificates.
  • Appraiser Applicant/Trainee Assignment Log(s). (We recommend you keep copies of your signed logs). We recommend you keep copies of your signed logs.
  • An official college transcript if not sent directly by the college.
  • Check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing). Fee is non-refundable.

Allow at least 2 weeks for processing. We'll review the application to determine if you're eligible for the exam. We'll notify you if you're approved to take the exam or explain why your application was denied.

After you're approved for the exam

Schedule your exam online, by phone, or by mail with PSI (goamp.com). For more information, see the Candidate Handbook.

After you've passed your exam


Log in or sign up to submit your score and pay your fee online.

By mail

Mail your original passing score report from the exam vendor with a check or money order for the certification fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Real Estate Appraiser Section
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. For more information visit military assistance.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. For more information, visit Get paid back for test fees.

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon