How to get your license: State-certified general real estate appraiser
We can't receive overnight deliveries in Olympia.
- You can use our online services where available or
- You can mail applications and documents with money to the PO Box in Seattle. (Mail deliverers requiring signatures won't deliver to a PO Box.)
- To receive updates and alerts, sign up for our listserv.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who provides appraisal services for all types of real property.
Education and experience requirements
To be eligible you must meet all of the following education and experience requirements.
There's no specific order required to gain this education and experience. After you have completed these requirements, you're eligible to apply to take the applicable exam.
To be eligible to take the exam, you must have:
- A Bachelor's degree or higher (in any field) from an accredited college or university,
- A total of 300 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses (see Approved Course Catalog), including all of the following:
|Basic appraisal principles
|Basic appraisal procedures
|Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)
|General appraiser market analysis and highest and best use
|Statistics, modeling, and finance
|General appraiser sales comparison approach
|General appraiser site valuation and cost approach
|General appraiser income approach
|General appraiser report writing and case studies
|Appraisal subject matter electives
Before you may take the exam, you must:
- Find a certified appraiser willing to supervise your work experience as a licensed registered appraiser trainee. See State-registered real estate appraiser trainee for more information.
- Work under the supervisory appraiser to get at least 2½ years' real estate appraiser experience (30 full months, first date thru last date of experience log, and 3,000 hours).
- At least 1,500 hours of this experience must be in non-residential appraising.
- Hours may be treated as cumulative to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
Before you apply for the exam
- Complete the Real Estate Appraiser Applicant/Trainee Experience Log in chronological order. You won't be granted credit for restricted appraisal reports. Every page must be signed by you. All pages with experience obtained under a supervisor must also be signed by the supervisor. If you have multiple supervisors, separate logs must be maintained – one for each supervisor and their signature.
- Gather your appraiser education course completion certificates.
How to apply for the exam
- Mail a completed Real Estate Appraiser Certification Application and the following attachments to the address shown on the application:
- Copies of your appraiser education course completion certificates.
- Appraiser Applicant/Trainee Assignment Log
- Check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing). Fee is non-refundable.
- Allow at least 2 weeks for processing. We'll review the application to determine if you're eligible for the exam. We'll send you a letter stating you're approved to take the exam, or explaining why your application was denied.
After you're approved for the exam
Schedule your exam online, by phone, or by mail with Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc (goamp.com). For more information, see the Candidate Handbook.
After you've passed your exam
Send all of the following to the address shown below:
U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification
Questions? Need help?