If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Architect by direct registration with NCARB

We have a new online service for managing professional and business licenses. These videos and guides can help you set up your account access. For help using the new service, please contact your professional licensing program.

We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have an accredited bachelor's or master's degree in architecture from a university recognized by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB):

  1. Work directly with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) (ncarb.org) to complete your:
    • Architect Experience Program (AXP) training (formerly IDP).
    • and
    • Architect Registration Examination (ARE).
  2. Take and pass all divisions of the ARE.
    • If you don't pass a division of the exam the first time, you can retest until you pass. However, after you pass your first division, you must pass all divisions of the exam within 5 years.
  3. After successfully completing the AXP and ARE, have NCARB transmit your record to our office.
  4. Complete, sign, and date an Architect Law Review. You must score 100% to pass the exam, which covers:
  5. Submit your license application:
    • Online
      1. Get your Architect Law Review Exam ready for upload.
      2. You need a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) login to renew online. Log in or sign up with SAW to get started, apply, and pay fees.
    • By mail
      • Send us all of the following:
      • Please allow 7 – 10 business days, not including mailing time, to process your application.

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon