How to get your license: Architect by direct registration with NCARB
If you have an accredited bachelor's or master's degree in architecture from a university recognized by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB):
- Work directly with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) to complete your:
- Architect Experience Program (AXP) training (formerly IDP).
- Architect Registration Examination (ARE).
- Take and pass all divisions of the ARE.
- If you don't pass a division of the exam the first time, you can retest until you pass. However, after you pass your first division, you must pass all divisions of the exam within 5 years.
- After successfully completing the AXP and ARE, have NCARB transmit your record to our office.
- Complete, sign, and date an Architect Law Review. You must score 100% to pass the exam, which covers:
- Submit your license application:
- Get your Architect Law Review Exam ready for upload.
- You need a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) login to renew online. fees. with SAW to get started, apply, and pay
- By mail
- Send us all of the following:
- Please allow 7 – 10 business days, not including mailing time, to process your application.
Questions? Need help?
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us: 360.664.1388