How to get your license: Salon/shop, personal service, mobile unit
We have a new online service for managing professional and business licenses. Learn how to set up account access and manage your license
. If you need help with the new service, please contact your professional licensing program
We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Who needs a license?
You do if you operate a salon, shop, personal service, or mobile unit in WA where cosmetology, barbering, manicuring, hair design, esthetics, or master esthetics are performed for a fee.
- A salon or shop is any building, structure, or part thereof. This includes individuals leasing space and owners of salons or shops where services are performed
- Personal services are services performed in the client's home, event venue, office, or other location that's convenient for the client.
- A mobile unit is a location where services are performed in a mobile structure (van, mobile home, etc.).
How to get your license
- File a Business License Application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue.
- You'll include your UBI on your salon/shop, personal service, or mobile unit license application.
- Certify your business is covered by a public liability insurance policy of at least $100,000 for combined bodily injury and property damage liability.
Log in or sign up to start your application.
Apply by mail
Mail a completed Salon/Shop, Personal Services, or Mobile Unit License Application (English,
Español, Русский, and more) and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post these items in the reception area of your salon/shop or mobile unit:
Subscribe to email updates to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.
Questions? Need help?