How to renew your license: Driver training instructor
Things to know
- You must renew your license every 2 years.
- DOL will send you a notice 120 days prior to remind you.
- If your license has been expired for more than 6 months, you must follow the reinstatement process. The steps to reinstatement are listed below.
What you'll need
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
- If you don't have one, you'll be able to create one before you start.
- For help visit How to set up account access.
- A complete driver's abstract from all states outside of Washington where you have had a driver's license.
- Documentation of continuing professional development that you have not yet submitted to us.
How to reinstate your expired Driver Training School Instructor License
- Review the following to prepare for the Knowledge and Skills exams:
- Washington Driver Guide
- Washington state laws:
- Drive Right (10th edition), available at private driving schools
- When you're ready, visit a licensing service office to complete your instructor written and skills exams. Be ready to pay your $25 testing fee at the licensing office.
- Schedule and submit your fingerprint based background check.
- Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through Idemia, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type. For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.
- Gather the documents you're required to attach to your application:
- A complete driver's abstract for all states outside of Washington where you have had a driver license.
- Proof of 8 hours continuing professional development to attach to your application.
- Be prepared to pay your application fee.
- You won't need to complete new instructor training provided your previous course was 100 hours. If your original instructor training was less than 100 hours you must submit training documents to verify the additional hours.
Once you complete the requirements, log in or sign up to apply online.
Apply by mail
Follow the steps outlined above, then send the following:
- Completed Driver Training School Instructor License Application.
- Check or money order for your non-refundable application fee (payable to Department or Licensing)
- Mail to:
Driver Training Schools
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
- Mailed in applications require an additional 2 weeks processing time.
- We can't process incomplete applications.
- We keep background check results are retained for 90 days.
After we've received your application
- We'll wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks. For questions, call 360.902.3703.
- We will notify you when we approve your license.
- Once you establish your association to a school in License eXpress for Business, your printable license will become available on your dashboard within 24 hours.
Post your license
- Log in to print copies of your license. The printable copy will be available once you have associated with a school in License eXpress for Business.
- Your license must be posted at your place of business before instructing any students.
- You can also request a copy of your license be mailed to you. There's a $5 fee that you'll pay in our online licensing system.
- RCW 46.82 Driver training schools
- RCW 46.82.325 Background checks for school personnel
- WAC 308-108 Driver training schools
Questions? Need help?
- Email us: email@example.com
- Call us: 360.902.3703