Our website is getting a new look! Coming Summer 2023 – stay tuned!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your license: Driver training school staff certificate

Who needs a staff certificate?

Any driver training school employee who:

  • Has unsupervised contact with students.
  • Enters data into the Secure Access Washington (SAW) portal on behalf of the students.
  • Enters test scores into the SAW portal on behalf of the school.

Before you apply

Schedule and submit your fingerprint based background check:

  • Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through Idemia, our electronic fingerprinting vendor.
  • You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
  • For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.

What you'll need

  • A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.

Apply online

After we've received your application

We’ll process your application and wait for the results from the Washington State Patrol for state and national background checks. This can take up to 6 weeks.

In order to maintain your certification you must pay a $12 fee each year so that DOL may process a background check for you. You will receive a notification providing information on how to pay this fee when it is due.

You must renew your staff certification every 5 years.

For veterans, military personnel, and partners

Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. For more information visit military assistance.

If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. For more information, visit Get paid back for test fees.

Related laws

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon