Our website is getting a new look! Coming Summer 2023 – stay tuned!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

File a complaint: Employment agencies

How to file a complaint

You can file online or by mail.


File online

By mail

  1. Complete a Business Resources Complaint (English, Español, Русский, and more) and include all of the following:
    • Copies of all documents related to your complaint.
    • A detailed explanation of your complaint, in the order they occurred, including:
      • Dates.
      • Other parties involved.
      • A summary of efforts you've already made to resolve the problem.
  2. Submit your complaint and all supporting documents to:
    Business Resources
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9027
    Olympia, WA 98507-9027

What happens after you submit your complaint

  1. We determine if the complaint falls within our legal authority.
    • If it isn't covered by our laws, we'll notify you.
    • If it's within our authority, we may conduct an investigation. Our investigator will act as an impartial, fact-finding third party. During the investigation, they aren't representing you, us, or the service provider. The investigator may contact the person you filed your complaint against to ask for a response, and may give them a copy of your complaint. The length an investigation takes will depend on current caseload and complexity of the case.
  2. After all the facts have been gathered, we evaluate the information.
    • If the evidence doesn't show a violation of the laws, we'll dismiss the case.
    • If a violation has occurred, we may recommend a disciplinary action, such as a reprimand, fine, or license suspension.
  3. The person you filed the complaint against may request a hearing to dispute the decision.
  4. We'll notify you of the outcome of your complaint.

Our decisions don't constitute legal opinion. We don't have the authority to recover funds, award damages, or make judicial determinations. To pursue these types of remedies, seek legal advice.

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon