If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

What's new: Firearms

Why are we requiring transfer applications for semiautomatic assault rifles (SAR)?

Washington voters approved Initiative 1639 in 2018. I-1639 requires firearms dealers to report any transfer of a SAR and collect a fee from customers. Department of Licensing holds records on firearms for law enforcement.

What is changing starting July 1, 2019?

We have a new firearm transfer application for:

  • Semiautomatic assault rifle transfers
  • Pistol transfers

The dealer and the buyer must each fill in parts of the form. Dealers can fill in their portion once and reuse an electronic copy with multiple customers. Read our tutorial or review our video (YouTube.com) for help getting started.

Upon transfer of a semiautomatic rifle, dealers must submit the transfer form and a fee to us. The amount of the fee will be finalized after the adoption of rules.

Semiautomatic assault rifle transfers require a paper form, along with the associated fee. Mail completed forms to the PO Box listed on the form. Be sure to select the PO Box for the type of transfer you are reporting.

What about other requirements of I-1639?

Visit the Attorney General's list of frequently asked questions.

Questions? Need help?

Email us: firearms@dol.wa.gov

Get email updates

Subscribe to one of our email lists for updates:

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website