If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get a final disposition permit

Who needs a permit?

You must have a final disposition permit if you:

  • Provide the service as a business.
  • Don't have authority to dispose of reduced human remains under RCW 68.50.160 (authority is usually limited to direct family members)

How to get your permit

Submit your application:


Log in or sign up to apply online.

By mail

Mail a completed Final Disposition of Human Remains Permit Application with a check or money order for the $70 fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Funeral and Cemetery Board
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

Please allow 7-10 business days, not including mailing time, to process your application.

How long your permit is valid

Your permit will be valid through January 31.

Helpful permit information

The Governor's Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance publishes:

  • Details about the most common required permits in the state
  • Links to regulatory agencies statewide

Go to the Central repository of Permit Timeliness Data (data.wa.gov) to review the data.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon