How to get your license: Home inspectors
- Get educated & receive training
- Submit an exam application
- Take the Home Inspectors exam
- Apply for your Home Inspectors license
Experience and education requirements
|Level of experience
||Education and training or documentation required
Those who have not actively performed home inspections
- Fundamentals of Home Inspection (120 clock hours)
- Field training (40 hours)
Those who have been licensed as a home inspector in good standing for at least 2 of the last 4 years.
- Documentation of education and training that meets or exceeds Washington's requirements (WAC 308-408A-040)
|State portion of the exam
1. Get Educated & Receive Training
To fulfill your education requirements:
- Take a Washington State Home Inspectors Board-approved, 120-hour Fundamentals of Home Inspection course. Please see the Home Inspector Education Course Catalog for a list of board-approved courses.
- Mentor with an experienced home inspector for 40 hours of field training and 5 actual inspections.
2. Submit an Exam Application
To submit your Home Inspector Exam Application:
After you submit your Exam Application, you will receive:
- An Exam Approval Letter/email from our testing vendor indicating that your application is complete and providing you with information to schedule your exam, including your Assigned ID# for our testing vendor.
- A letter/email from us requesting additional information so we can process your application.
3. Take the Home Inspectors Exam
The Home Inspectors Exam fee is $300 payable when you schedule your exam.
To schedule and take your exam:
- Visit our testing vendor's website to schedule your exam: http://online.goamp.com/CandidateHome/CandidateInformation.aspx
- Select "Real Estate" as the category.
- Select "Washington Home Inspector Program" as the program.
- Select "Home Inspector Examination" as the examination.
- Select "Schedule/Apply for this Exam" and provide the required information, including your Assigned ID# to select your desired testing site.
- Take the exam at the testing site you choose. Please bring your photo ID to the testing site.
You will receive your exam results (Pass/Fail Report) as you leave the testing center.
If you fail all or part of the exam, you must wait 24 hours after your exam before scheduling to retake it with the exam provider. There are no restrictions regarding the number of attempts. Beginning January 1, 2018, there is a 30-day waiting period between each examination attempt.
You must pass the applicable portion(s) within your 2-year eligibility period before applying for a license.
The cost to retake the exam is:
- $125 for the state portion
- $250 for the national portion
Note: It is to your benefit to review the Home Inspector Examination Candidate Handbook (goamp.com) prior to taking the exam.
4. Apply for Your Home Inspectors License
To apply for your Home Inspectors License:
- Complete the Home Inspector License Application
- Include with your License Application:
- Your State and National Pass/Fail Reports from the exam provider (photocopies accepted).
- A check or money order for the $680 licensing fee, made payable to the Department of Licensing.
- Mail your License Application, Pass/Fail Reports, and fee to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3917
Seattle, WA 98124-3917
After we evaluate and approve your License Application, we will process your application in our licensing system and mail your license to you.
Questions? Need help?
Email us: DOLINTHomeInspectors@dol.wa.gov