How to get your armed private security guard license
Who needs a license?
You need a license if you carry a firearm while on duty working for a licensed private security guard company.
To be licensed as an armed private security guard, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a current firearms certificate issued by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC).
- Have a completed fingerprint and background check.
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com (identogo.com) to schedule an appointment through Idemia.
- Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611.
- For more information visit fingerprinting and background checks.
What you'll need
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
- If you don't have one, you'll be able to create one before you start. For help visit How to set up account access.
- If you're a resident alien, proof of your alien firearm license.
How to apply
You can apply online or by mail.
Create your SAW account to apply and pay your fees onlineApply online
Send the following:
- Completed Private Security Guard Initial License Application
- Check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing)
Private Security Guard Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
For veterans, military personnel, and partners
Your military experience or training might help you meet licensing requirements. You may also be able to get a temporary license if you're moving here with a current license from another state. For more information visit military assistance.
If you're a U.S. veteran, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement of your fees. For more information, visit Get paid back for test fees.
Questions? Need help?
- Email us: email@example.com
- Call us: 360.664.6611