How to renew your license: Shops, mobile units, and event locations
We expect a processing delay for mailed applications and renewals. Renew or apply online for faster processing of your license. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Things to know
- License expires 1 year after it is issued, or when your business liability insurance expires, whichever comes first
- You can renew 120 days before your license expires
- There will be a late fee if you don't renew before it expires
- If your license has been expired for more than 1 year, it's canceled and you must reapply.
- We consider your shop, mobile unit, or event location unlicensed if your license expires or gets canceled. You can receive a fine for engaging in unlicensed activity.
Before you renew
- If this is your first time to access your account online, or if your last online renewal was before June 22, 2017, you must set up account access before you renew.
- Be ready to answer legal background questions and provide documents if needed.
What you'll need
- Username/User ID and Password for account access (see Before you renew above)
- Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit or debit card to pay renewal fee
- If needed, documents for criminal history questions, ready to upload. See Uploading document instructions
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to renew online.
Want to renew by mail?
- Follow the instructions on your renewal notice
- No renewal notice? Submit the appropriate fees with a completed Artist Shop, Artist Mobile Unit, or Event Location Application (check the "Renewal," "Late renewal," or "Reinstatement" box as needed).
When will I get my license?
We won't mail your license unless you request a printed copy. Your license is available to print online.
If you renewed online
- We'll process your request within 14 business days. It will be available to print online at any time.
- Check your email for notifications about your license.
- See how to self-print your license.
If you applied by mail
- We'll process your request within 45 business days and send a copy of your license to the email address listed on the application.
- You can print your license online at any time. See how to self-print your license
Get a printed license by mail
- To get a printed license when applying by mail, you must send the license print fee with your application.
- To request a printed copy of your license, send us the following information:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Phone number
- License type
- License number
- Check or money order for the license print fee, payable to Department of Licensing
- Mail to:
Tattoo, Body Art, Body Piercing Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401
Update your insurance online
Follow these step-by-step instructions to update your insurance information.