How to renew your license: Tattoo, body piercing, body art, and permanent cosmetic artists
Things to know
- License expires every year
- You can renew 120 days before your license expires
- There will be a late fee if you don't renew before it expires
- If your license has been expired for more than 1 year, it's canceled and you must reapply.
- We consider you unlicensed if your license expires or gets canceled. You can receive a fine for engaging in unlicensed activity.
Before you renew
- Be ready to answer legal background questions and provide documents if needed.
What you'll need
- Your license number
- Expiration date of your blood-borne pathogens certificate
- Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit or debit card to pay renewal fee
- If needed, documents for legal background questions, ready to upload.
- If needed, update your contact information online before you renew
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to renew online.
- For help, see how to set up account access.
- For step-by-step renewal instructions, see Frequently asked questions.
Want to renew by mail?
- Follow the instructions on your renewal notice
- No renewal notice? Submit the appropriate fees with a completed Body Art, Body Piercing, Tattoo Artist, Permanent Cosmetics License, Renewal or Reinstatement Application (English, Español, Русский, and more) (check the “Renewal” box).
When will I get my license?
We won't mail your license unless you request a printed copy. Your license is available to print online.
If you renewed online
- We'll process your request within 14 business days. It will be available to print online at any time.
- Check your email for notifications about your license.
- See how to self-print your license.
If you applied by mail
- We'll process your request within 45 business days and send a copy of your license to the email address listed on the application.
- You can print your license online at any time. See how to self-print your license
Get a printed license by mail
- To get a printed license when applying by mail, you must send the license print fee with your application.
- To request a printed copy of your license, send us the following information:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Phone number
- License type
- License number
- Check or money order for the license print fee, payable to Department of Licensing
- Mail to:
Tattoo, Body Art, Body Piercing Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 35001
Seattle, WA 98124-3401