Inspecting modified off-road motorcycles: Vehicle and vessel dealers
Things to know
To perform safety inspections on modified off-road motorcycles you must be a:
- Licensed motorcycle dealer
- Motorcycle repair shop
To learn how to get your license, see:
- Motorcycle dealer's license: Miscellaneous vehicle dealer.
- Business license to repair motorcycles: Department of Revenue: Open a business.
When you inspect a modified off-road motorcycle to determine if it's legal for road use, you must:
- Check the vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Inspect all the equipment identified in RCW 46.61.705, including:
- Head lamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp.
- Turn signals.
- Windshield (if applicable).
- Complete Part 1 of the Off-Road Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form and sign it. By signing the form, you're certifying the equipment complies with state and federal requirements..
The law doesn't specify how to perform the inspection. It's up to you to ensure that all equipment installed complies with state and federal requirements.
- You can't charge more than $100 per inspection (RCW 46.16A.435).
- The customer must pay you the fee.
- You must attach a receipt to the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form showing the amount you charged.
State and federal requirements
Washington State laws and rules
- RCW 46.04.363: Off-road motorcycle
- RCW 46.09.470: Operating violations — Exceptions
- RCW 46.16A.030: Registration and display of plates required — Penalties —Expired registration, impoundment
- RCW 46.16A.435: Off-road motorcycles — Declaration required — Contents
- RCW 46.37.200: Stop lamps and electric turn signals displayed
- RCW 46.37.522: Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — When head lamps and tail lamps to be lighted
- RCW 46.37.523: Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Head lamps
- RCW 46.37.524: Motor-driven cycles — Head lamps
- RCW 46.37.525: Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Tail lamps, reflectors, and stop lamps
- RCW 46.37.527: Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Brake requirements
- RCW 46.37.528: Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles — Performance ability of brakes
- RCW 46.37.529: Motor-driven cycles — Braking system inspection
- RCW 46.37.530: Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, mopeds, electric-assisted bicycles — Helmets, other equipment — Children — Rules
- RCW 46.37.420: Tires — Restrictions
- RCW 46.37.425: Tires — Unsafe — State patrol's authority — Penalty
- RCW 46.61.705: Off-road motorcycles
- WAC 308-94A-004: Certificates of title and registration
All RCW links go to app.leg.wa.gov
Explanation of abbreviations
- RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington State laws)
- WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington State agency regulations)