Changes to commercial driver licensing

On September 1, 2015, We will comply with the Federal requirement that all commercial drivers provide proof of lawful permanent residency or U.S. citizenship when they apply for or renew their commercial driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP).

For current CDL and CLP holders this means 5 things:

  1. You are only required to present proof of lawful permanent residency or U.S. citizenship at your next renewal or other transaction that requires a change to your record. This includes name, address, and endorsement changes. The ability to renew and make changes to your personal driver license is not affected by these requirements.
  2. If you hold a valid enhanced personal driver license or enhanced commercial driver license issued in Washington before September 1, 2015, you are not required to again prove your permanent legal residency or U.S. citizenship. This type of license is identified by a red colored bar at the top of the card and the words “ENHANCED DRIVER LICENSE” or “ENHANCED COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE.”
    Sample photo of enhanced driver license

    Example of enhanced license

  3. Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency is not required to replace a lost, damaged or stolen card. Duplicate commercial learner permits and commercial driver licenses may be purchased at any driver license office.
  4. Visit a driver licensing office location to complete your transaction.
  5. You must provide 1 of 6 federally approved, government-issued documents. Obtaining duplicate documents can take several weeks. We advise you to begin the process immediately if you do not currently have at least one in your possession. Photocopies are not accepted.
*Individuals from the Federated States of Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshall Islands may enter the U.S. at any time to work and stay indefinitely. Possession of a valid passport from these island nations will satisfy the requirement for proof of lawful permanent residency.
Approved documents Photo example
  • Valid U.S. Passport (book or card) issued by the U.S. Department of State:
US Passport sample photo
  • U.S Government Issued Birth Certificate - For replacements, contact your state or county of birth. Hospital issued certificates are not accepted. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 are not accepted.
Birth Certificate sample photo
Permanent Resident Card sample photo
Certificate of Naturalization sample photo
Certificate of Citizenship sample photo
Consular Report of Birth Abroad sample photo

Non-permanent residents may find more information about becoming a permanent legal resident or U.S. citizen by contacting the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. For more information about this Federal law, go to

The following video describes these requirements in further detail

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website