Learn about safe driving courses for drivers over 55 years old and how to get a discount on car insurance.
Before you get started
Many of our courses are offered online and can be completed from the comfort of your home.
Collision prevention courses
Taking a collision prevention course can help:
- Reduce your chances of being in a collision, being injured, or getting a ticket.
- Learn to drive more safely.
- Get a car insurance discount.
- Learn about normal age-related physical changes and how to adapt your driving to these changes.
- Update your knowledge of the rules of the road and good driving skills.
What you'll learn
- The effects aging can have on your driving.
- Driver problem areas such as yielding, speeding, following distances, sharing the road, road signs, and signals.
- How to limit distractions.
- How to properly use safety restraints.
- The effects medication and alcohol have on your driving.
- The importance of vehicle maintenance.
How to apply for an insurance discount
After you've completed an 8-hour collision prevention course, you'll be issued a completion certificate. Contact your insurance company to get instructions on how to submit the certificate and find out what your insurance rate reduction will be.
|I Drive Safely
|National Safety Council
|Senior Driving Discount of America
|Traffic School Online
|Urban Traffic School Mature Drivers Course
|Washington Traffic Safety Education Association
How to start a program in your area
If you're interested in starting a senior driver collision prevention course, it must meet the following requirements:
- Courses must be a minimum of 8 hours in length.
- The curriculum must be reviewed and approved by the Department of Licensing.
- Courses must be re-certified every two years.
You may request detailed guidelines and curriculum criteria by contacting us at:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507-9030