Is your driver license expiring soon? Renew your license online!
Limited in-person appointments available. Learn more.
Apply for a first-time instruction permit online.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

CDL approved documents

All commercial drivers must provide proof of:

Proof of Washington residency

If you are transferring your CDL, or transferring and getting a CLP added, you have to show only 1 document. If you already have an enhanced document, you have already satisfied this requirement.

  • Acceptable documents must:
    • Show your current Washington residence address (unless noted below).
    • Show your first and last name.
  • If you’re married, you can use documents in your spouse's name. You'll need to show your marriage certificate.
  • If you are under 26 years old you may use documents in your parent or guardian's name.
    • If you're under 18, see Teens and Children for additional requirements.
    • If you're 18 to 25, you’ll need to show proof of relationship (e.g. birth certificate, adoption decree, court issued custody decree, etc.), but your parent or guardian doesn’t need to be present.
  • If you are 18 years old or over and are assigned a court guardian due to mental or physical limitations, you may use documents in your court assigned guardian's name.
    • You must show the court decree assigning guardianship.
    • Your assigned guardian must be with you and have valid proof of their identity.

Show us 1 of the following.

  • Previously issued WA license, ID card, or permit
    • This is not an option if you got a license in another state after your last WA license.
  • Washington vehicle registration or title (a quick title isn't acceptable)
  • Cell phone bill or statement
  • Home utility or service document (bill, statement, hook-up order, etc.) for Washington address (gas, electric, water, garbage, sewer, landline phone, TV, internet, ISTA)
  • Bank or credit card document (statement, card mailer, etc.)
  • Washington voter card
  • Washington school transcript or report card.
  • DSHS benefits letter (medical, food, etc.)
  • Tribal ID
  • Proof of home ownership (mortgage documents, property tax documents, deed, title, etc.).
  • Selective Service Card
  • Concealed weapons permit from a WA county (license to carry concealed pistol)
  • Homeowner's or renter's insurance policy
  • Auto insurance policy, declarations page, or binder
  • Consulate ID card or Mexican Federal Electoral card
  • Pay check or pay stub with the employer's name and phone number or address
  • Washington professional license (nursing, physician, engineer, pilot, etc.)
  • W-2 form from an employer or form 1099
  • Moorage document
  • Letter attesting residence in alternate housing (e.g. assisted living, college campus, mission, senior housing, shelter, or retirement home) on company letterhead with a phone number that could be used in verification of the facility
  • US military document
  • Certified Washington marriage certificate
  • Form DS-2019

Proof of lawful permanent residency, U.S. citizenship, or non-domicile document

All commercial drivers must provide proof of lawful permanent residency, U.S. citizenship, or non-domicile document when applying for or renewing their commercial driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP). If you can't provide these documents, you'll need to surrender your CDL.

For current CDL and CLP holders this means:

  • You're only required to present proof of lawful permanent residency, U.S. citizenship, or non-domicile document at your next renewal or other change to your record. This includes name, address, and endorsement changes. You can renew or make changes to your personal driver license, it's not affected by these requirements.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residency, or non-domicile document is not required to replace a lost, damaged or stolen card. You can purchase a duplicate CDL and CLP online or at any driver license office.
  • You must provide 1 of 8 federally approved, government-issued documents. Photocopies aren't accepted. Obtaining duplicate documents can take several weeks. Begin the process immediately if you don't currently have at least 1 in your possession. If your name on an approved document doesn't match what's on record, you'll also need proof of your name change. This may consist of 1 or more of the following documents:
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court Order Name Change
    • Stand Alone:
      • Refugee Verification Packet (contact your resettlement agency for more information)
      • U.S. armed services ID card, with photo — Valid
      • U.S. B1/B2 Visa Border Crossing Card (Form DSP-150) — Valid
      • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization with your photo, signature, and readily identifiable photo
      • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service ID — Valid
        • Acceptable forms are:
          • I-327 U.S. Permit to Re-Enter Travel Document
          • I-551 Permanent Resident Card
          • I-571 U.S. Refugee Travel Document
          • I-766 Employment Authorization
      • U.S. passport — Valid (an emergency passport isn't acceptable)
      • U.S. passport card — Valid
      • U.S. state or territory issued Driver License, ID card, or photo Instruction Permit — Valid or expired not more than 1 year
      • Verification ID letter from the Department of Social and Health Services Children's Administration for foster youth

If you have a CDL from Mexico and Canada you can't transfer your CDL to WA. You can legally drive in this country with the out of country CDL.

Approved documents Photo example
Valid U.S. Passport (book or card) issued by the U.S. Department of State: US Passport sample photo
Government Issued Birth Certificate
Including Puerto Rico (issued after July 1, 2010), Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
Birth Certificate sample photo
Valid Permanent Resident Card
“Green Card” issued by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:
Permanent Resident Card sample photo
Certificate of Naturalization
Replacements available from U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:
Certificate of Naturalization sample photo
Certificate of Citizenship
Replacements available from U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services:
Certificate of Citizenship sample photo
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Replacements available from the Department of State:
Consular Report of Birth Abroad sample photo

Non-permanent residents may find more information about becoming a permanent legal resident or U.S. citizen by contacting the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. For more information about this Federal law, go to www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

Non-domicile CDL

Customers who are domiciled in a foreign country or in a state that prohibits issuance of CDL/CLP due to residency requirements will not have one of the preceding documents. They may be eligible for a non-domiciled document.

The following documents are acceptable to prove non-domiciled:

Approved documents Photo example
Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
Unexpired foreign passport with an approved unexpired I-94 form (electronic or document) Unexpired I-94 form - Electronic Unexpired I-94 form - Document

We'll issue you a non-domiciled CDL to the expiration of your approved documents (up to 6 years).

The following video describes these requirements in further detail

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website