If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Military experience waiver (CDL)

Things to know

  • If you drove trucks in the military, you may be able to get a CDL without having to meet training requirements. You also might not need to take a knowledge and skills test.
  • A CDL is not allowed an indefinite military expiration. The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR 383.73(b) (9)) doesn't allow expirations beyond 8 years.

Who Qualifies?

Military drivers who:

  • have 2 or more years' experience driving commercial vehicles as part of their military job
  • and
  • meet all requirements on the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver

and are:

  • currently active
  • or
  • within 12 months of an honorable discharge

How to apply

  1. Complete the application below that applies to you. Take it to your Commanding Officer to finish and sign.
  2. Submit the following to cdlcompliance@dol.wa.gov for approval:
    • The completed waiver application signed by your commanding officer.
    • Copy of your DD214, NGB22, or equivalent document with your:
      • Discharge date or current active status
      • 2 years military driving experience from your Motor Vehicle Operator’s Identification Card that lists the type of equipment you drove:
        • Air Force - 2293
        • Army - 348
        • Army/National Guard - 5984-E
        • Marines - 7540-00-634-3999
      You can use your current military ID to provide active status, but not for driving experience.
    You'll receive a follow-up email letting you know if we approved or denied your waiver.
  3. Make an appointment to visit a driver licensing office location. Bring the following:
  4. Pay fees to have CDL issued.
Application question contact information
For questions about Contact
  • Status of Application for Military Skills Test Waiver approval
  • Medical Examiner's Certificate
  • Commercial Driver Fitness Determination
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Call: 360.753.9875
  • DD214 or NGB22 forms
Veterans Affairs
Call: 360.753.9875

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon