Get answers to your questions about essential businesses.
More extensions for some expiring driver licenses.
Vehicle and boat licensing services may vary across the state.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

CDL disqualifications: Committing railroad-crossing violations while operating a commercial motor vehicle

What kinds of violations will result in this type of disqualification?

  • All drivers:
    • Failing to have enough space to drive completely through the crossing without stopping.
    • Failing to obey a traffic control device or the directions of an enforcement officer at the crossing.
    • Failing to cross the tracks because of insufficient undercarriage clearance.
  • Drivers who aren't always required to stop:
    • Failing to slow down and check that the tracks are clear of an approaching train.
    • Failing to stop before reaching the crossing, if the tracks aren't clear.
  • Drivers who are always required to stop:
    • Failing to stop before driving onto the crossing.

How long will my license be disqualified?

  • First violation: 60 days
  • Second violation: 120 days
  • Third violation: 1 year

How do I re-qualify?

  • Pay a $35 re-qualification fee.
  • If disqualified for 1 year or more, pass the Commercial Driver License (CDL) knowledge and driving tests.
  • For a hazardous materials endorsement, pass a separate knowledge test. (We also may require you to show us a letter from the Transportation Security Administration stating you passed their background check.)

Can I appeal the disqualification?

You may request an administrative review.

Related laws

RCW 46.25.090(8): Disqualification — Grounds for, period of — Records.

Questions? Need help?

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website