Renew, replace, or get a duplicate CDL
Save a trip, skip the line, save some time!
Log in or join to find out if you're eligible to renew online.
You'll need to renew at a driver licensing office if you:
- Are upgrading to a higher class, adding endorsements, removing restrictions.
- Are renewing with hazardous material endorsement (HME) (you must pass a knowledge test).
- Need to provide Lawful Permanent Residency or U.S. Citizenship documents.
- Need a self-certification change. Examples:
- A new medical status requires you to operate intrastate only.
- You're going from intrastate operation to interstate operation.
You have 2 options to renew:
- Log in or join to renew online.
- Visit a driver licensing office. Be prepared to wait in line. See Tips for visiting an office: Driver licensing offices.
Is your address up-to-date?
Your home address is on your license, make sure it's updated. If needed, please change your address before you renew.
When can I renew?
You can renew up to:
- 1 year before your license expires. It usually expires on your birthday.
- 60 days after it's expired. We won’t charge a late fee, but you could get a ticket from law enforcement.
If your license expired over:
What if I haven't received my driver license yet?
If you don't get it after 30 days, email us CustomerCare@dol.wa.gov.
Are you a twin or triplet?
When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you’re a twin or triplet. Answering this question is voluntary.
We share this information with the Washington State Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you’d like to join the Twin Registry. Learn more about the program on the Washington State Twin Registry website.
I received a notice for someone who's deceased, what should I do?
You can ignore the notice or send us a copy of the death certificate by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 360.570.7034
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507
The county medical examiner or coroner issues death certificates. After it's issued, the Department of Health notifies us - this can take several months. As soon as we receive the notice, we'll update their record. This should stop all future correspondence.
You don't have to return the person's license or ID card. You can keep it as a memento if you wish or discard it.
Questions? Need help?