Renewing a permit
Your permit is valid for 1 year. You can renew it twice for a fee.
- Log in or join to renew online.
- Make an appointment to renew at an office.
Getting a permit
Do you have a "WDL" number?
Washington permits, ID cards, and licenses use a number that starts with WDL or the first 5 letters of your last name. This number is unique to you. This number identifies you. You'll use it if you start a driver training course or make an appointment to go to one of our offices. If you don't have a WDL number yet, we'll assign one to you when you pre-apply.
You may already have a WDL number if you have:
- A valid or expired Washington ID card.
- Already filled out an application on our website.
- Received a ticket in the past; for example:
- Minor in possession.
- Driving without a license.
If you don't remember your WDL number, call us for help: 360.902.3900.
There are 2 ways to get your permit:
Take a driver training course
If you're at least 15 years old and plan to take a driver training course, you can pre-apply. You'll need to give your WDL number to your driving school. You can visit an office or complete your online application for a permit 10 days or less before the course starts. That includes weekends and holidays. This will allow your driver training school to inform us that you're enrolled.
Take a test and learn on your own
If you're not enrolled in a course, you must be at least 15 1/2 years old to take the knowledge test. Pre-apply if you haven't already, and get a WDL number so you can schedule your test. If you don't complete the Traffic Safety Education course, you must wait until you’re at least 18 to get your license.
Decide whether you want a photo on your permit
If you don't want a photo on your permit, you can log in and finish your application online. Be aware you'll have to provide proof of identity in person when it's time to get your license.
If you want a photo on your permit, we need to:
- Prove your identity in person. You'll need to make an appointment to do this. Learn more about proving your identity.
- If you have a valid Washington ID card, you don't need to do this again.
- Take your picture in one of our offices. We can use a recent photo of you if we have one on file.
Make an appointment, using your WDL number, to "Get a license/ID."
When your permit will arrive
After you pay and finish your application (online or in our office), we’ll mail your permit. It should arrive in 7-10 business days. Call us if you haven’t received it after 2 weeks: 360.902.3900.
Log in to print your temporary permit or replace a lost permit card. If you go to an office, you'll get a temporary permit at that time.
To practice driving, you must have:
- An instruction permit with you to go on public roads.
- A licensed driver in the front passenger seat. They must have at least 5 years of experience driving with a valid license.
You may have other passengers of any age if they wear seat belts.
Don't use a phone or other mobile device while driving, unless you need to call 911.
Your Washington permit might not be valid for driving in another state. Contact the state where you'll be traveling to find out if they'll honor your Washington permit.
- Get your first license: 16-17 years old
- Get your first license: 18 and over
- Steps to getting your EDL or EID
- Replace your license or instruction permit