Is your driver license expiring soon? Renew your license online!
Limited in-person appointments available. Learn more.
Apply for a first-time instruction permit online.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Do I need an endorsement?

If you've passed your knowledge and skills tests, you can add a 2- or 3-wheel permit or endorsement online.

To legally ride in Washington, you must have a 2-wheel motorcycle or 3-wheel sidecar/trike:

  • Endorsement on your driver license.
  • or
  • Motorcycle instruction permit to learn how to ride on public roadways.
Endorsement options
If you have a… You…
2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
  • Is larger than 50cc
  • or
  • Can go faster than 30 mph
Need a 2-wheel endorsement
2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
  • Is 50cc or smaller
  • and
  • Has a maximum speed of 30 mph
Don't need an endorsement
2-wheel motorcycle or scooter with a stabilizing conversion kit installed. Need a 3-wheel endorsement
Motorcycle with a sidecar Need a 3-wheel endorsement
3-wheel trike Need a 3-wheel endorsement
3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel Don't need an endorsement

If you ride without the proper endorsement or permit, you may be fined $386 and your motorcycle, scooter, or trike may be impounded.

Related laws

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website