Is your driver license expiring soon? Renew your license online!
Limited in-person appointments available. Learn more.
Apply for a first-time instruction permit online.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Renew your driver license

Coronavirus (COVID-19) changes

It's easier than ever to renew online:

Did your driver license expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020? Or will it expire between October 1 and December 31? If so, we've extended your license.

You have options to renew:

  1. Renew online without creating an account.
  2. Log in or join to renew online and save your information.
  3. Renew by mail if you got a letter from us.

Is your address up-to-date?

Your residence address is on your license, make sure it's updated. If needed, please change your address before you renew.

When can I renew?

You can renew up to:

  • 1 year before your license expires. It usually expires on your birthday.
  • or
  • 60 days after it's expired. We won’t charge a late fee, but you could be penalized by law enforcement.

For military personnel

You don't need to renew during the term of your military service if you're:

  • A member of the armed forces or National Guard on active duty.
  • A reservist called to duty for 180 days or more.
  • The spouse or dependent of an active member of the military.

Your license remains valid as long as you're on active duty. For more information, see Military personnel.

If your license has been expired over:


Your license fee is $9 per year. Renewal periods can be for 2-6 years. So if your license is for 6 years, your fee is $9 x 6 years = $54.

What if I haven't received my driver license yet?

If you don't get it after 30 days, call us at 360.902.3900 (TTY: call 711).

Are you a twin or triplet?

When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you’re a twin or triplet. Answering this question is voluntary.

We share this information with the Washington State Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you’d like to join the Twin Registry. Learn more about the program on the Washington State Twin Registry website.

I received a renewal notice or other correspondence for someone who's deceased, what should I do?

You can ignore the notice or send us a copy of the death certificate by:

The death certificate is issued by the county medical examiner or coroner. After it's issued, the Department of Health notifies us - this can take several months. As soon as we receive the notice, we'll update their record. This should stop all future correspondence.

You don't have to return the person's license or ID card. You can keep it as a memento if you wish or discard it.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website