If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Renew your driver license while out of state


If you're out of state when your WA state driver license expires, you may be eligible to renew or extend it if:

  • It isn't suspended, revoked, surrendered, cancelled,
  • or
  • You don't have any outstanding fees.

How to renew or extend your driver license while out of state (mail-in only)

Get a 12-month extension
  • Driver licenses: The extension starts on your license expiration date. You must carry it with your expired license.
  • Motorcycle endorsements: You can get a license extension with a motorcycle endorsement. When the extension expires, you must reapply in person, take any necessary tests, and pay fees.
  • Enhanced driver licenses (EDLs): An EDL extension is only valid for driving. You won't be able to use it for border crossing.
  • Commercial driver licenses (CDLs): You can't get an extension for your CDL.

How to apply for a 12-month extension

Submit Driver License Extension Request.

Renew for 8 years by mail — January 1, 2022, your license will be renewed for 8 years instead of 6 years.

You can renew your license by mail, if you:

  • don't plan to return 1 or more years after your license expires, and
  • have a Social Security number.

A license renewed by mail won't contain your photograph or signature. It'll be labeled "identity not verified." It will be valid for driving, but not for identification.

Commercial driver licenses (CDL) can't be renewed by mail

However, you can surrender it and renew your regular driver license.

  • To renew your license without a CDL, submit a Commercial Driver's Notice of Surrender with your renewal. You'll have up to 1 year to reinstate your CDL without providing proof of training or taking required tests.
  • When you return to Washington, visit a driver licensing office to reinstate your CDL.

How to renew by mail

  1. Submit a Driver License Renewal/Replacement Request While Out-of-State.
  2. If you don't want to keep your motorcycle endorsement, submit Notice of Surrender (English, Español, Русский, and more).
  3. If you have a CDL, submit Commercial Driver License Notice of Surrender (English, Español, Русский, and more).
  4. Mail necessary forms with check or money order (payable to Department of Licensing):
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9048
    Olympia, WA 98507-9048

Military personnel

You don't need to renew your license during military service term if you're:

  • On active duty in the armed forces or National Guard.
  • On active duty as a reservist for 180 days or more.
  • A spouse or dependent of an active duty member of the military.

Your license is valid as long as you're on active duty. For more information, see Veterans and Military personnel.

Frequently asked questions

How can I replace a lost or stolen license while out of Washington State?
See Replace your driver license while out of state.

If I change my name while out of state, can I update my license?
No, you can only update your license in person at an office. You can still request an extension or renewal, but it'll show the name currently on your license.

Questions? Need help?

Email us: exams@dol.wa.gov

Chatbot icon