Replace your license or instruction permit
Things to know
For $20, you can replace a lost, stolen, or damaged license or instruction permit.
- You'll get your replacement in 2-4 weeks. If you haven't received it after 30 days, call us at 360.902.3900 (TTY: call 711).
- We'll mail it to the address we have on file. If it needs to be updated, change your address first. Licenses and ID cards can't be forwarded to a new address.
- It'll have the same horizontal or vertical format and photo as the one you're replacing.
- Exception: If you had a vertical card and you’re 21 we’ll replace it with a horizontal format.
- You can order a replacement up to 3 times a year. Other restrictions may apply, see below.
- Your temporary license/ID won't include your photo and can't be used for identification.
You have options:
- Replace online without creating an account. Use this option if you don't remember the number on your card.
- Log in to replace online if you already have an account.
You can't get a replacement online if:
- It expires within 3 months, please renew it instead
- Your license or permit isn't valid
- You moved out of state
- You changed your name from what's printed on your license
- Your record shows you have any of the following:
- A dishonored check
- Unpaid traffic fines
- Unpaid reissuance fee
- A suspension
- A revocation
- A cancellation
|Pay with your:||For online services||For licensing office|
Make checks payable "Department of Licensing"
|Visa – credit/debit||Yes*||Yes – at most offices**|
|MasterCard – credit/debit||Yes*||Yes – at most offices**|
|American Express – credit/debit||Yes*||Yes – at most offices**|
|Discover – credit/debit||No||Yes – at most offices**|
*Starting January 1, 2020 we will charge a 3% card payment fee for online transactions. You can also pay with your checking account information online for no added fee.
**We accept credit and debit cards at some of our offices. Our card payments vendor charges a fee.
- If using a debit card, the convenience fee adds $2.25.
- If using a credit card, the convenience fee adds:
- $2.25 if your transaction total is $75 or less.
- 3% of your transaction total if over $75.
Other options to replace your card:
- At a driver licensing office, by appointment only.
- By mail – Washington Driver License/ID Card Change of Address form – we won’t send a confirmation.
Your temporary won't include your photo and can't be used for identification.
- Replace a lost EDL/EID
- Replace a lost ID card
- Reinstating your license
- Identity crimes or fraud
- Tips for visiting an office: Driver licensing offices
Questions? Need help?
Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)