Financial responsibility (SR-22)
What is financial responsibility?
It's proof you have a way to pay for any damages you may cause while driving.
Who needs to file proof of financial responsibility?
Anyone who has:
- Been convicted of, or forfeited bail for, certain offenses.
- Failed to pay judgments.
- Driven or owned a vehicle involved in an accident.
What is considered acceptable proof?
You have 3 options:
- SR22 Insurance written for Washington State by an approved insurance company.
- To verify the Insurance commissioner approved your insurance company, look up an agent, agency or company .
- Certificate of deposit for at least $60,000, issued by us (DOL). See Certificate of deposit.
- Liability bond for at least $60,000. You can get this from any surety or bonding company authorized to do business in Washington.
How long do I have to provide proof of financial responsibility?
In most cases, 3 years from the date you're eligible to reinstate your license. See Learn how to reinstate your license to find out how long you need to have proof of financial responsibility.
- Mandatory insurance
- Failure to pay accident damages: Financial Responsibility Law
- Failures to pay accident damages: Unsatisfied civil court judgments
- What if I can't find auto coverage