Find out how to get your professional architect license if you have an accredited degree in architecture through direct registration with NCARB.
Who needs an architecture license?
How to apply
Follow the steps below to get your architect license.
1. Meet the requirements
To get your architect license, you must:
- Work directly with NCARB to complete your Architectural Experience Program (AXP).
- Take and pass all divisions of the Architect Registration Examination (ARE).
- If you don't pass a division of the exam the first time, you can retest until you pass. However, after you pass your first division, you must pass all divisions of the exam within five years.
2. Transmit your NCARB record
After successfully completing the AXP and ARE, have NCARB transmit your record to our office. Once NCARB has transmitted your record, NCARB will send an email to let you know. After we add the record to your application and our files, and it will be reviewed. We will reach out to user if we need anything else.
3. Take the Architect Law Review Exam
Next, you must complete, sign, and date an Architect Law Review Exam. You must score 100% to pass. The exam covers the following topics:
4. Submit your application
Lastly, you will submit your application either online or by mail.
Submit your application online
You'll receive your license faster by submitting your application online. You can upload your Architect Law Review Exam, apply, and pay the application fee. You will receive instructions on paying the licensing fee when you are ready to be licensed.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Submit your application by mail
Complete the Architect Registration Initial Application.
Mail your application, Architect Law Review Exam, and a check or money order (payable to the Department of Licensing) for the application and license fees to:
Washington State Board for Architects
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777