Learn about how to apply for a cemetery license.
Who needs a license?
Any corporation established to operate a cemetery in Washington State must have a cemetery license unless you meet the exemption qualifications listed under RCW 68.05.400.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to apply for a cemetery license.
1. Meet the requirements
Before applying for a license, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- The cemetery must be operated by a corporation established for that purpose. This corporation must be established and adopt the appropriate bylaws before operating the cemetery. (RCW 68.20.010)
- You must deposit $25,000 in an endowment care fund before selling or disposing of any plot. (RCW 68.40.010)
2. Contact the city
Contact the city or county where the property is located to see if it can be used as a cemetery.
3. Dedicate the cemetery property
Contact your County’s assessor office to dedicate the property for Cemetery purposes.
4. File a business license application
File a business license application to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue. Once you receive your UBI you can apply for your Cemetery Certificate of Authority.
5. Submit your application
You must pay the cemetery licensing fee when you submit your application. Choose the method that works best for you.
Submit your application online
Before submitting your application prepare the following documents for upload:
- Cemetery Prearrangement Sales Application
- Endowment Care Trust Fund Agreement
- Signed Endowment Care Fund Trustee Statement of Fiduciary Responsibility by a minimum of 3 trustees
- Copy of sales agreement for the purchase of the cemetery (if applicable)
- Financial statement for cemetery
- Copy of corporation by-laws
- If also applying for Prearrangement Sales, completed and signed Cemetery Prearrangement Sales Annual Report.
- If purchasing an existing Cemetery, please submit the previous year Annual Reports, a copy of the sales agreement, and the Cemetery Endowment Care Annual Report
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Submit your application by mail
Please allow 7 to 10 business days, not including mailing time, to process your application.
Complete an Cemetery Certificate of Authority Application.
- You must include your UBI number on the application.
- The application must be completed by the corporation.
- Be sure to provide all the required supporting documents.
Mail documents with a check or money order for the application fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Funeral and Cemetery Board
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777