Learn how to renew, update, or reinstate your license to operate a cosmetology school.
Renew your license
- You must renew your license every year.
- You can renew up to 120 days before your license expires.
- Schools are subject to an annual audit and inspection.
- A DOL inspector will conduct a site visit before the license expiration date.
- There will be a late fee if you don't renew before the expiration.
Be ready to answer legal background questions and provide supporting documents if needed.
Update your contact information online, if necessary, before you renew your license.
How to renew your license
Follow these steps to renew your license.
Gather the required documents
- Your license number
- Payment for the license renewal fee
- Tuition Recovery Trust Fund deposit (not required if your school is 100% publicly funded)
- Documents for legal background questions (if needed)
- Documentation of changes to catalog and curriculum since last submission
Renew your license online
Get your license faster by renewing online!
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Renew your license by mail
Complete a Cosmetology, Hair Design, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, or Master Esthetician School Renewal Application form, available in the following languages:
Mail your forms and a check or money order for the renewal fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
If your license expires
Your students can’t earn hours towards licensure and your license could be subject to disciplinary action if you continue to operate while your license is expired.
Get email updates
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.